Sunday, February 14, 2010

To Dream, Perchance to Do

I want to travel. I want to meet people both far and near. I do hope that. I want to put myself at the mercy of the elements, machinery, people's better nature, the whims of fate.

I've heard people say, "The safest place for a ship is in harbor, but it is not designed to sit at anchor." That is how I feel at this point in my life.

I followed (in 2009) the travels of Sergeant Marty. In a calender year he rode from to Colorado to Prudhoe Bay Alaska (solo), then from Colorado to Tiera del Fuego with another retired Aurora cop. Beside being fun to follow him along, I loved the idea of hitting the open road. At forty seven I will probably not make a huge splash in this world, but I can make a big splash in my own life.

I have followed ride reports on Adventure Rider that took me from London to Morocco. I have followed South Africans into the wild lands surrounding their country.

The allure of the open road does not favor any particular age or personality. Who hasn't wanted to own not more than they carry? To have the flexibility to make camp and call that home for the night? To decide to tarry here, or there for as long as they feel welcome, or interested, or feel like it?

Might there be a higher purpose to travel? I don't know. Maybe that will reveal itself.

These are just some small musings. I will be back...



No comments:

Post a Comment