Monday, February 15, 2010

Weapon of Choice

My weapon of choice is a 2008 Kawasaki KLR650. This is a truly iconic bike in the motorcycle world. No bike in the (world-touring class) dual-sport category is less expensive. It is like the original VW Bug in that it is cheap, easy to fix, reliable and durable. There is a ton of material on the web on this bike, so I will not wax on this topic to any great length as there is a cornucopia of info to be gleaned with very little effort.

The purchase price of my trusty steed was a mere $5,299 brand new. That included shipping from Connecticut (my home state by the way). Chaplin Kawasaki took great care of me and air-freighted my bike to me for $50 under the MSRP. That was a good buying experience.

I was attracted initially to the idea of riding by reading Ride Reports on sites like Adventure Rider. I have learned about how to accessorize and maintain the KLR on KLR650.net and KLRWorld.com. These are great forums with tons of info. I found people on these forums to be very patient and eager to help a neophyte rider like me.

I hope that my efforts here will open someone else's eyes to this great pastime.

No comments:

Post a Comment